Friday, October 26, 2012

Bearing Fruit -- Wherever, Whenever

Treasured friend,

As I may have mentioned earlier, since Dad's most recent illness, we've restarted our tradition of reading Scripture together as a family each day. In the hospital, we read a Psalm every morning. Now, at home, with Dad having a rough time getting back into a sleep pattern we've taken to reading together as we tuck him into bed. (In the hospital, the old cliche that they wake you to give you a sleeping pill isn't very far off reality -- and that sets a bad habit to break even in the peacefulness of home!)

Last night, we read a passage from Psalm 92, which we all found especially meaningful. It's a Psalm of praise, of speaking with our lips the truths of Who God is and how He remains faithful throughout the generations. Somehow, in speaking it aloud, I find a passage like this one bolsters my faith and reaffirms my assurance that God is Who He claims to be.

I'd challenge you to read the whole Psalm aloud, from start to finish, but for now let me give you the passage Dad asked me to reread so it could really sink in:

Psalm 92:12-15 (ESV)
12 The righteous flourish like the palm tree and grow like a cedar in Lebanon.
13 They are planted in the house of the LORD; they flourish in the courts of our God.
14 They still bear fruit in old age; they are ever full of sap and green,
15 to declare that the LORD is upright; he is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in him.


Dad especially liked that passage about still bearing fruit in old age. And, I'm his witness that he's doing just that. Yesterday, he told his surgeon in no uncertain terms that God was guiding his hands throughout the operation--because our friends and family around the world (literally) were praying for the procedure. And don't get me started on how many times in the past month Dad shared the message of salvation with nurses, techs, and anyone else who had reason to enter his room.

Even in this most trying time for him physically (and he's had more than his share!), Dad is providing for me an example of just how to be unashamed to declare that the Lord is "upright" and that He is the one, guaranteed, solid rock -- where we can stake our eternal future with absolute confidence.

I pray that my life -- and yours, my dear friend -- will leave that same legacy. May you flourish in the courts of our God, today, no matter your circumstance.

Blessings and prayers,

Julie

© 2012, Julie-Allyson Ieron. All rights reserved. For reprint permission, email: orders@joymediaservices.com

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to commend you family for this wonderful practice of reading scriptures together. It's admirable that despite the test that your dad and family is going through, your faith remains strong. Your dad's faith is unwavering as well. He still recognizes God's righteousness through it all

    ReplyDelete