Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Big Picture

Treasured friend,

In the abject dailiness of our lives--whether in caregiving, in work, in illness, in the drudgery of the mundane--the reality of who we are, what we have, and how much God loves us can seem a foggy prospect, indeed. Because I've been overly enmeshed in the mundane, and I'm downright sick of it ... I've begun meditating on the openings of several of Paul's letters this week. In them, I see the exuberance of the Apostle--reminding us of the amazing gifts God has already given to believers in Christ. As I've read and reread chapter 1 of Ephesians and chapter 1 of Colossians, especially, I've found myself bolstered in my resolve to keep moving forward with Him even in the worst of the daily days.

My hope is in sharing a couple of the phrases I've been meditating on, you'll find a similar boost to your heart and soul. So, this week we'll look at the big picture from Ephesians 1--a picture of the reality we seldom even glimpse from our exhausted and overworked perspective.

Read the passage that follows. Savor it. Ask God's Holy Spirit to make you aware of His breath of life in it; ask Him to reveal something fresh of Himself to you through these amazing words. Don't read my comments on it until after you've heard God's own voice speaking to you through this inspired portion of His Holy Word:

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth. In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory. Ephesians 1:3-14 (ESV)
Here's what I've noticed especially about this big picture--the greater reality. The phrases I highlighted jumped out especially to me this week--and so I dug deeper into them to discover more about the way they would have been understood by Paul's original readers. I think as you read what I learned in my study, you'll see new riches in these amazing words.

"In Him we have redemption"
In the original Greek that means something like, through Christ we hold in our hands the absolute freedom purchased by His blood. That's what we have, what we hold in our hands--the promise guaranteed by the Holy Spirit--that's the greatest of the spiritual blessings we have in Christ. At greatest cost, He purchased our slave contract from the sin that bound us up with the express purpose of setting us utterly and completely free. That's the way the word redemption would have appeared to the original readers of Ephesians 1. Yes, it's something that will be made clear to us in abundance one day, but it is also something we already have, by God's amazing grace.

"the mystery of His will"
According to my AMG Complete Word Study Dictionaries, the word mystery in the Greek had the connotation of our being let in on the secret of the inner circle--as if we've been initiated into the special group and are now privy to its most guarded secrets. We now know His will, His mysterious choices--He lets us in on what moves His heart. We get to know the very Person of God. And, here again, it's something we already have in part and will one day receive in full clarity.

"every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places"
The blessings we have aren't just physical, limited to this temporary existence. According to Vine's Expository Dictionary the word Paul used here for spiritual only appears after Pentecost, after the promise of the Holy Spirit's descending on Christ's followers was fulfilled. So the blessings here, specifically, are all about the indwelling of the Comforter, the Spirit of God sent to live in us. That's the blessing that transcends time and earthly life--He will stay with us for now and through eternity. What greater blessing would our hearts ever require than the very Spirit of God alive and working in each of us who believe in Christ?

"to the praise of His glory"
This is the obvious outcome of knowing what Paul has shown us about God's gifts and blessings to us. We see how awesome and exalted and unspeakable He is, and our response is to lift Him up, to lift our hearts and voices in awe and gratitude. The phrase appears several times in the passage--perhaps because we are so quick to complain and so slow to worship or praise. Okay, I won't speak for you--but I'll say this: I'm so quick to complain and so slow to worship.

I want to heed that reminder, and I intend to respond today by reminding myself early and often to express my worship to the God who lavished these unmerited blessings on me. I pray that as you lift your eyes from your current circumstances and onto the amazing gift of God's Spirit to you, your heart, too, will sing out in worship and praise to His resplendent glory.

Blessings and prayers,

Julie

If you'd like to dig deeper into other Bible passages, like I've done here, you might enjoy my study of John 17 in my book Praying Like Jesus, available in print, audio book, and ebook editions at http://joymediaservices.com


© 2010, Julie-Allyson Ieron. All rights reserved. For reprint permission, email: orders@joymediaservices.com

2 comments:

  1. Julie,

    My grandmas prayer group used this Ephesians passage today as we praised God. What a rich passage to meditate on.

    I met you at OCW and took your class. Now I'm excited to announce my Bible study for grandparents came out Oct. 2010. "Preparing My Heart for Grandparenting" (for grandparents at any stage of the journey), was published by AMG Publishers. If you know grandparents who want to pass on a legacy of faith, please help me spread the word. You can learn more here: www.PreparingMyHeart.net. If you're interested in a review copy, please leave a request on my Web site and I'll make sure you get one.

    I'm pleased to have a story in the same Guideposts book as you do. "In Times of Change" is an inspiring book.

    God bless you.

    Lydia Harris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lydia, I remember you. I'm so pleased that your book is premiering with AMG. Many congratulations! And thanks so much for visiting. Please come back often!

    Blessings to you, too,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete