Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Cling to This

Treasured friend,

I have been feeling spiritually wrung out in these days. Chasing to doctor visits. Worried and concerned about many things -- like Martha (Luke 10:41). Missing out on the truly important, I've resisted the opportunity to use these moments of testing in my life to draw closer in my relationship with Christ.

Perhaps you've been through some seasons like this, as well.

As I was praying this morning, confessing that I simply didn't feel like having a quiet time with the Lord, the words of this long-ago memorized passage came to mind -- and in them I found a measure of strength and energy to press on:

Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith (Galatians 6:9-10; NASB).

It seems the Apostle Paul recognized in the Galatian believers (probably from having experienced the same temptation himself) a fatigue -- a drained-to-the-dregs feeling that had them sure none of the effort they were spending would ultimately prove worthwhile.

His prescription was to press on through -- keep doing good and keep your heart in it. There will be a dividend one day, even if you can't see it right now. Don't be weary. (Sounds a lot like the Master's words in John 14:1, "Don't let your heart be troubled. Trust Me.")

It seems to me the second half of the prescription is to find and seize every opportunity to keep doing good -- to everyone. Does that include the doctor who may not be treating my loved one with the tender care as if he were his own flesh and blood? Does that include the client who is delinquent in paying what is owed? Does that include the driver who cuts me off on the road? Or the customer service agent who seems more interested in venting her own frustration than in helping solve my problem with her company?

I suppose the "everyone" in the passage includes all those individuals -- and so many more. And especially those in the household (whether God's household or our own). Those closest. Those most likely to hear our tirades. Those who need our "doing good" the most.

I'm not quite sure how this works, exactly. Because Paul (and Christ) tell us simply not to let it happen. The weariness. The discouragement. The feeling that none of this battle is worth the effort. They make it sound like a choice -- a change in perspective. And perhaps it is. Looking toward another eventuality -- the one that is in what seems like the far distant future (but could be as close as this very hour). In light of eternity this "momentary light affliction is producing for us an absolutely incomparable eternal weight of glory" (2 Cor 4:17, HCSB).

Fellow weary one, perhaps those words of perspective may be enough to sustain you through this day. I'm clinging to them here ... and pray you will, as well.

Blessings and prayers,

Julie

© 2010, Julie-Allyson Ieron. All rights reserved. For reprint permission, email: orders@joymediaservices.com

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! It's the end of the school year and the kids (mine and the ones I bus) are anticipating the summer and all its freedoms or changes. Which always makes me weary. It is the annual "hang in there" time.

    I just want to let you know I am reading your blog --now and then-- and I really appreciate your insight.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise,

    You're a special friend and encourager. I admire the work you do so much! What a privilege it is for me to encourage you in return!

    Blessings,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete